When you tell someone you write about gin they ask you one questions more than any other. ‘So, what’s your favourite gin?’ To which I usually reply ‘Which is your favourite child?’. It’s a glib and slightly cruel response, I should probably stop.

photo 4

It is a really hard question to answer. It depends on so many factors. What am I drinking the gin in? What’s the weather like? What sort of mood am I in? Am I spending big, or on a budget?

But I will give this a try, here is my non-definitive list of my favourite Australian gins in a variety of drinks:

GIN AND TONIC

Stone Pine Dry Gin with Qina Fina tonic water and a twist of lemon peel.

DIRTY MARTINI

West Winds Cutlass with a drop of Noilly Prat and Sicilian green olives

Dirty martini
NEGRONI

Four Pillars Rare Dry Gin with Campari, Maidenii red vermouth and a twist of singed orange peel

photo 2
GIN OLD FASHIONED

Four Pillars Barrel-Aged Gin with chartreuse and grapefruit bitters and a grapefruit twist (with thanks to Dave at Different Drummer)

photo 3 (1)

Ok, over to you, what’s your favourite gin and how do you drink it?

Favourites are hard, but useful. Over on The Eye Spy Milk Bar you’ll find their favourite homewares super cheap from places you’d least expect.

13 Comments on What’s your favourite gin?

1. Mimi
    August 10, 2014 at 4:57 am (3 years ago)

I dont really drink… but your joke is funny! and maybe I’ll try the Four Pillars Barrel-Aged Gin sounds kinda sweet 🙂

• The Ginstress
      August 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm (3 years ago)

It’s so good, but hard to find!

• Jane
        August 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm (3 years ago)

If you’re in Melbourne, Mimi, you can get it at Seddon Wine Store.

2. Aaron
    August 11, 2014 at 5:26 am (3 years ago)

I find equally as hard to pick a favorite. Am I picking my favorite worldwide-available gin and making a recommendation for folks because it’s easy to find (Martin Miller’s). Am I picking my favorite floral-forward Contemporary Gin sure to ruffle the feathers of traditionalists? (Dorothy Parker). Am I picking my favorite US-distilled alternative to the mainstream classic style gins (Halcyon Gin). And that’s without even getting at what you did with each cocktail clearly having gins which work better in them! Such a tough choice, so in short, I have many favorites. It just depends on who is asking!

3. Ingrid
    August 12, 2014 at 7:50 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t drink gin all that often, but when I do I like Hendricks with tonic and a cucumber slice. Divine!

4. Cheryl from BusinessChic
    August 14, 2014 at 2:16 pm (3 years ago)

Goodness grief, I wish I had one of the above in hand right now!

I really like the West Winds gin in a dirty Martini – so tasty. That said I also like it as a G&T with a stick of capsicum. Delicious!

• Lianna Parker
      February 6, 2015 at 10:19 pm (2 years ago)

That sounds like something I should try this weekend! I love cucumber in my gin & tonic; never tried capsicum. Cheers.

5. Jane
    August 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm (3 years ago)

A Gibson made with West Winds Cutlass as mixed by the bloke at Bar Americano in Melbourne is perhaps the most delicious drink of gin I have ever had.

6. Michael
    November 18, 2014 at 3:42 am (3 years ago)

I must say that I actually have a favorite gin at the moment. For a long time I had it just like you, and I responded to the question of my favorite gin the same way as you.
    After trying a few hundred gins by now in connection with my own gin website, I find the London gin Dodd’s Gin from The London Distillery Company from Battersea to be the most impressive gin. I haven’t found a single cocktail or drink this gin doesn’t excel in. Try it out. It’s really, really good.

• The Ginstress
      December 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm (2 years ago)

I have a bottle in my gin cupboard! It’s wonderful, but I haven’t got to reviewing yet. Soon!

7. Phil
    January 23, 2016 at 7:35 am (1 year ago)

Death’s Door – because I like the name and the package. Oh yeah, and it also makes a nice dry martini.

8. bianca topp
    January 30, 2016 at 8:47 am (1 year ago)

I found a boutique Australian Gin distilled near Murwillumbah, NSW. It’s incredible and coloured with native flowers (purple), flavoured with lovely botanicals and magically changes to pink with tonic water. The flavour is so nice though that I kinda like it neat or with a little soda water. Check out Ink Gin, you’ll love it.

9. Elpaco
    October 1, 2016 at 3:43 am (8 months ago)

Alas my favourite gin must be Plymouth, because it makes such a decent martini (4:1 noilly, shaken not stirred, with six cubes for 11 seconds, double olive twist). When I feel sensitive, I switch it for citadelle.

Whats your favourite dry martini recipe?